My Ibook G3 Experience


My Mac!, originally uploaded by rodolfohernan20.


I bought my Ibook G3 last year. No one knew that I bought one, not even my closest friends. Why? Because I used to say that the Mac were a very expensive piece of junk. I got it for only U.S. $175.00, on sale. It is old, but still functional. I added a 512 MB RAM that a friend gave me and the same friend added a DVD/CD Drive. My Ibook was flying; with only 500 Mhz, the extra RAM gave it a boost. At the beginning, I didn't like the operating system that it had (Mac OS X) and I was stuck with it. I didn't know what to do, until I met Linux. A friend explained how Linux worked, and I decided to give it a try. The first Linux that I installed in my mac was Yellow Dog 4.0. It is very functional but it didn't look "pretty", so I didn't like that much; but because it was faster than Mac, I decided to keep it. Until I got the extra RAM, I installed Kubuntu (which I am still using) and it is running great. I have copied my entire music library to my ibook because I prefer to use Linux rather than Windows. Although I'm running dual boot Mac OS & Kubuntu, I only use Mac OS X for Flash. Unfortunately there is not a functional Flash for Linux PPC (I'll explain the term PPC later on) only for Linux Intel. I recommend Kubuntu if you like to have a robust operating system. Unless you are a designer, you should give Linux a try.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.